What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild
notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?
Cindy and I keep asking ourselves the hard question – are we reaching out well enough to our boys in this postmodern culture and as the men of Issachar in 1 Chronicles 12:32 understand the times and know what they should do?
This week we are thinking of our young ones or better known by the world as the Generation Z! These are the children born after 1996 and also known as iGEN or even Smartphone Generation!
Today our church (in general) see our Gen Z just like how plato described it above, the more we understand them, the more we are made aware that they want us to walk with them rather than preach at them.
Do you know this statistic? – based on our 2016 Sunday School statistics
|Current Students 2017||Irregular Attendance 2017||Stopped Attending 2016 (Full year)||Left to another SS 2016 (full year)|
As parents and leaders, are we able to reach out to our young ones effectively?
- Recognizing their potential (even though we do not see it the first time!)
- Get involved (play with them, especially with teens)
- Involve them (they love to take responsibility)
- Available for them (their fast paced changing life requires our time)
- Adapt and compromise their needs (be flexible and adjust and mean what we say, they are very sensible!)
- Love them (they can be reached through love)
Are we available for them and agree with the psalmist that we have done our part?
Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction
and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.
9 They are a garland to grace your head
and a chain to adorn your neck.
As we commit to pray for this generation and prepare each one of them for our mission program in April, let us also ask the Lord to help us to reach out to them and teach them to obey everything Jesus has commanded us as described in Matthew 28:19-20.
- Pray that we adults will be responsible for our future generations
- Pray for the young ones of our parish
- Pray for the young ones that have left our Sunday School
- Pray for parents who do not send their young ones to church
- Pray for young ones who have little time with their parents